NextFin News - Barrick Mining is reconsidering the timing of one of the mining industry's most watched capital-market events: the initial public offering of its North American gold business, which Chief Executive Mark Hill told analysts on August 10 was on track to close by year-end, is now being pushed toward 2027. The reversal comes just three weeks after Barrick and Newmont signed an agreement that resolved their long-running Nevada Gold Mines dispute and explicitly cleared the path for the listing. The question the market has not yet priced is whether the delay protects value by waiting for a better window, or signals that the spinoff's valuation math no longer works even with gold trading near $4,350 an ounce after a record-breaking rally.
The Toronto-based producer is weighing a delay of the IPO for its North American assets until next year, according to a person familiar with the matter. Under the original plan, Barrick would sell a minority stake of 10% to 15% in the new entity while retaining a controlling interest. The timing shift is a test of a central tension in resource markets: a historic bull run in the commodity does not automatically open an IPO window for the companies that dig it out of the ground.
The Deal That Was Supposed to Close This Year
The North American IPO was the centerpiece of Barrick's strategic reset announced on February 5, 2026. The structure was straightforward: carve out the company's premier North American assets into a standalone vehicle — referred to internally as IPOCo or NewCo — and sell a minority stake through dual listings in New York and Toronto. The asset package would include Barrick's 61.5% interest in the Nevada Gold Mines joint venture with Newmont, its stake in the Pueblo Viejo mine in the Dominican Republic, and its wholly owned Fourmile discovery in Nevada. Barrick would keep operating its remaining assets in Africa, Latin America, and Asia within the parent company.
The logic was to create what management described as the only major American pure-play gold company, with assets located exclusively in low-risk jurisdictions. That framing was a direct appeal to U.S. institutional investors who have historically underweighted miners carrying geopolitical exposure in places like Mali and Pakistan. By separating the assets, Barrick hoped the market would value the North American package on its own merits rather than applying the group's blended discount.
The leadership split announced alongside the plan showed how far Barrick was willing to go. Hill was selected to run the new North American company upon launch, and Sebastiaan Bock was appointed Chief Executive, Rest of World, effective August 11. On the August 10 earnings call, Hill told investors:
"We are on track to complete the IPO of our North American gold assets by the end of this year. We are excited to launch a pure play gold company with high-quality, long-life assets exclusively in low-risk jurisdictions. The cooperation agreement with Newmont expands the Nevada complex to nearly 100-million-ounces, and the agreement gives us great flexibility and value."
That statement rested on a strong operational backdrop. In the second quarter of 2026, Barrick produced 796,000 ounces of gold, above its guidance range of 730,000 to 770,000 ounces. Net earnings reached $1.22 billion, up 50% year over year, with earnings per share of $0.73, up 55%. The company returned $1.50 billion to shareholders in the quarter, a 242% increase year over year, including $1.2 billion in buybacks. A delay does not change those numbers, but it does change the story investors were being sold.
The Window That Opened, Then Closed
What makes the delay striking is the sequence of events. On August 10, Barrick and Newmont announced an amended joint venture agreement under which excluded properties — including Barrick's Fourmile and Newmont's Fiberline and Mike developments — would be contributed into Nevada Gold Mines. The agreement concluded all outstanding disputes between the parties, and Newmont explicitly consented to Barrick's proposed North American IPO. That removed the single largest overhang on the transaction. Three weeks later, the closing date is slipping.
On the surface, the timing looks perverse. Gold averaged $3,432 an ounce in 2025, an all-time annual high and 44% above the 2024 average of $2,386, according to Barrick's annual filing. The metal then pushed above $5,000 an ounce in January 2026 and set a record of $5,602.22 an ounce on January 28. A pure-play vehicle holding Nevada Gold Mines, Pueblo Viejo, and Fourmile should, in theory, command its highest possible multiple precisely now.
But the market for mining IPOs does not reprice in lockstep with the commodity, and three factors argue for patience.
First, the parent's shares tell a different story than the metal. As of September 2, Barrick's New York-listed shares had a previous close of $43.10, inside a 52-week range of $26.82 to $54.69. The stock was essentially flat year to date, up about 0.5%, while Canada's TSX Composite gained nearly 13% over the same period. The shares had also fallen for three consecutive sessions into September 1, when gold futures settled at $4,375.70, down 2.36% on the day amid rising bets on a September Federal Reserve rate hike. If the parent trades at a discount to the sum of its parts, a minority IPO floated off a weak parent rarely prices at a premium.
Second, the asset package is still being reconfigured. The August 10 Nevada deal expanded the complex to nearly 100 million ounces of resources, which is value-creating over the long run but means the IPO prospectus must price a moving target. Investors need time to underwrite the revised joint venture economics, the new ownership mechanics, and the development path for Fourmile, where Barrick doubled its declared gold resource in 2025 and planned sharply higher drilling spend in 2026.
Third, the IPO window for miners has been unforgiving even in a bull market. When Barrick first announced the spinoff on February 5, its shares fell as much as 7% intraday — the market read the separation as a signal that the parent was being left with the harder assets. In August, gold touched $4,363 an ounce while Barrick dropped 6% to 7% after earnings, a divergence that illustrated the persistent discount between owning the metal and owning a claim on the metal. Some shareholders have also argued against the plan, warning that selling up to 15% of the North American package could transfer future upside to new investors while leaving them with the more complex operations. A minority sale in that environment risks leaving money on the table.
Cyclical Pause, Structural Split
The delay is best read as cyclical, not structural. The decision to separate the North American assets from the rest of Barrick is a structural change to the company's architecture — a permanent reorganization of assets, leadership, and capital allocation that will not revert on its own. The leadership split between Hill and Bock, the Newmont consent, and the legal separation of the vehicle are all done deals. But the timing of the listing is a cyclical call on the IPO window, and cyclical calls are mean-reverting by nature.
History supports that distinction. Mining spinoffs tend to price well when three conditions align: the commodity is rising but not yet euphoric, the parent's shares have already rerated higher, and the asset package is stable enough to underwrite. In September 2026, only the first condition clearly holds. Gold has already had its euphoric leg — up roughly 135% from the 2024 average of $2,386 an ounce to its January peak of $5,602.22 — Barrick's shares have not rerated, and the Nevada asset package is still absorbing the August restructuring. Waiting for the other two conditions to catch up is a patient, arguably disciplined, move — provided gold does not mean-revert faster than the window reopens.
The risk in that patience is the second-order effect most investors are missing. A delay does not simply defer value realization; it signals to the market that management itself is uncertain about the valuation. That can harden the very discount Barrick is trying to escape. If gold pulls back from its record while the listing remains on hold, Barrick faces a worse set of choices: float into weakness, shrink the stake sold, or abandon the separation altogether. Each path carries a different cost to the parent's multiple, and each is worse than floating now at a fair price.
There is also a capital-allocation dimension. Barrick entered 2026 with one of its strongest balance sheets in years, generating record quarterly operating cash flow of $2.73 billion and free cash flow of $1.62 billion in the fourth quarter of 2025. If the IPO was partly about funding shareholder returns, the company can afford to wait — it has cash flow. If the IPO was about de-risking the group's jurisdictional profile for a specific strategic reason, waiting is more expensive. The cost of delay is not cash; it is credibility.
The Counter-Thesis: The Market May Be Right to Be Skeptical
The strongest argument against the delay is the simplest: gold's record run may be the best window Barrick will get, and waiting is a bet against the tide. The counter-thesis holds that pure-play gold vehicles rarely trade at a sustained premium to diversified majors, that the Nevada joint venture restructuring adds complexity rather than clarity, and that the parent's flat share price reflects fundamental cost pressures rather than a temporary valuation gap. All-in sustaining costs were $1,866 an ounce in the second quarter, up from $1,708 a year earlier, and total cash costs rose to $1,426 from $1,239. If those cost trends are structural, no amount of timing will fix the discount.
That view has merit, and it is backed by the market's own behavior. Barrick fell on the original IPO announcement in February and fell again on strong earnings in August, suggesting investors are pricing cost inflation and jurisdictional risk into the group regardless of structure. Shareholder critics have made the same point in blunt terms: ownership restructuring will not solve production issues or underperformance, and only fundamental operational improvements will. If the discount is structural rather than cyclical, no amount of timing will fix it, and the separation should proceed on schedule to at least establish a market price for the North American assets.
The falsifying signal is clear and quantifiable. If Barrick's shares fail to recover toward the top of their 52-week range — above $54 — while gold holds above $4,500 an ounce through the end of 2026, the discount is structural, not cyclical, and delaying the IPO would be a mistake. The $4,500 threshold matters because it is Barrick's own sensitivity benchmark: the company has guided that a $100 per ounce move in the gold price shifts attributable EBITDA by roughly $270 million, so $4,500 is the level at which the earnings engine should be firing on all cylinders. Conversely, if the stock rerates above $50 with gold stable, the patience thesis is validated and a 2027 listing could price at a meaningful premium to what the market would offer today.
What to Watch Next
Three signals will determine whether the delay pays off. First, the gold price path: a sustained move back above $5,000 an ounce would reopen the window and improve the terms Barrick can command. Second, Barrick's share price: a recovery toward $50 to $54 would signal that the market is ready to value the group closer to the sum of its parts. Third, the Newmont joint venture integration: clean execution on the expanded Nevada complex, with clear resource and cost guidance, would give underwriters a stable asset package to market.
Short term, expect volatility in Barrick's shares as the market digests the timing shift — the stock has already shown it can move 6% to 7% on structural news. The flat year-to-date performance against a 13% gain in the TSX shows how much catch-up is needed before the IPO can price at a premium. Medium term, the separation remains intact; the assets, the leadership split, and the strategic rationale are unchanged. Long term, the question is whether a pure-play North American gold company can break the miner discount that has haunted the sector for a decade.
The base case is a 2027 listing at better terms, assuming gold holds above $4,500 and Barrick's shares recover toward the top of their range. The downside case is a further delay or a downsized offering if gold mean-reverts toward $4,000 while the parent stays flat. The upside case is a sharply rerated parent that makes the IPO almost incidental — the separation succeeds not because the window opened, but because the market finally recognized what was already inside the company.
Barrick's delay is a bet that patience pays more than momentum. In a market where gold set records while the world's largest gold miner went nowhere, patience may be the only trade left that the commodity itself has not already priced — but patience without a rerating is just a delay dressed up as discipline.
Explore more exclusive insights at nextfin.ai.

