NextFin News - Iran brushed aside U.S. President Donald Trump's threat of "economic warfare and isolation on an unprecedented scale" on Thursday, while oil climbed to three-week highs as the Strait of Hormuz stayed shut and the United Arab Emirates cut off trade with Tehran — a cascade of moves showing the war's economic front widening even as diplomacy stalls.
Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi called the U.S. threats "failed policies" that would only stir more hostility among Iranians and "bring more failures." His comments came hours after Trump promised "crushing economic measures" against Iran without providing details. The exchange landed as Brent crude rose 3.1% to $94.42 a barrel and the UAE — a trade partner that supplied more than 30% of Iran's imports, roughly $21 billion in 2024 — suspended all financial and commercial transactions with Tehran until further notice.
The central question is whether economic coercion can force a deal where military pressure has not. The evidence so far points the other way: Iran's currency is at record lows and the International Monetary Fund expects inflation near 70% this year, yet Tehran has not conceded on the waterway that carries about one-fifth of global oil and liquefied natural gas trade. The market is pricing a prolonged impasse, not a breakthrough.
Iran Dismisses the Threats, but the Economic Noose Is Tightening
Araghchi argued the U.S. threats aim to divert the American public's attention from domestic financial problems, adding that U.S. "economic terrorism threatens the global economy and the national sovereignty of countries around the world." That framing — painting sanctions as a global problem rather than an Iranian one — is Tehran's standard defensive play, and it has limits. But the pressure is no longer theoretical.
"Failed policies" will stir more hostility among Iranians and "bring more failures," Araghchi said in rejecting the economic threats made against his country.
The UAE's embargo is the most consequential new development. Before the war that began with U.S. and Israeli strikes on Iran on February 28, the UAE was one of Iran's largest trade partners, providing more than 30% of its imports valued at some $21 billion and taking nearly 13% of its exports, worth about $7 billion, according to World Trade Organization figures from 2024. Dubai has also served as a critical financial conduit for Iranian businesses facing U.S. sanctions. Cutting that route targets commerce that American penalties have historically struggled to reach — the re-export and financial plumbing that kept Iran's economy connected even under the toughest U.S. sanctions rounds.
Abu Dhabi announced the suspension on Tuesday after accusing Iran of firing two ballistic missiles toward maritime traffic near its coast; Iran denied responsibility, calling the accusation baseless. The move carries its own risks: the UAE depends heavily on regional stability to remain a business and finance hub, and any major conflict with Iran can cause substantial damage to its economy. That a Gulf state with so much to lose chose to sever the relationship anyway signals how sharply the regional calculus has shifted since the missiles landed in Gulf waters.
Meanwhile, U.S. Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent said last week that coming measures would combine economic isolation with the continued blockade of Iranian ports — a blockade Trump said "will remain in full force and effect until an agreement is reached, certified, and signed." The International Monetary Fund forecasts Iranian inflation of nearly 70% this year, an economic contraction of 5.4%, and a rial at record lows. Those are the kinds of numbers that, in previous decades, preceded negotiated settlements.
Yet the Iranian leadership's public posture has not shifted. Trump said Wednesday that Iran is "negotiating on fumes" and that the sides are closing in on a deal, even as Monday's 60-day deadline came and went with no agreement on the table. The deadline marked two months since Washington and Tehran signed a memorandum of understanding to begin peace talks and try to reopen the Strait of Hormuz; it expired with no broader agreement to end the war.
"So far, they haven't gotten there," Trump told his Cabinet. "We're not satisfied with it, but we will be — either that or we'll have to just finish the job."
The gap between those two statements — a leader insisting a deal is near while the clock he set has already run out — is where the market has placed its bet.
Oil Markets Price a Long Impasse, Not a Breakthrough
The market's verdict was unambiguous on Thursday. Brent crude futures for October delivery rose $2.80, or 3.1%, to $94.42 a barrel by 1204 GMT, while U.S. West Texas Intermediate for September added $2.84 to $88.67. Both benchmarks hit their highest levels since July 24 and gained for a fifth straight session — a streak that tells you traders are not buying the dip on deal hopes anymore.
"Tensions in the Middle East remain high, leaving room for further supply disruptions," said UBS analyst Giovanni Staunovo. "Lower oil exports from the Middle East are once again tightening the oil market."
The structural problem is that the Strait of Hormuz — through which roughly one-fifth of global oil and LNG consumption moved before the war — remains effectively closed. Iran controls a designated transit corridor and says any vessel deviating from it faces attacks and risks. The U.S. military said Monday it carried out "self-defense" strikes on missile launch sites and boats placing mines, and Chinese-linked supertankers turned back while transiting the waterway earlier this week. Shipping traffic through the strait on Wednesday was unchanged from the day before, according to the latest shipping data.
The U.S. Energy Information Administration said this week it does not expect Middle East oil production to return to near pre-conflict levels until early 2027, and forecasts Brent to average $87 a barrel in 2026. That outlook matters because it reframes the entire trade: the market is not pricing a short-lived spike but a multi-quarter supply squeeze. Experts say it would take several weeks or even months for shipping and prices to recover once the waterway reopens, meaning even a successful deal would not immediately flush the risk premium out of crude.
Gold, the other classic crisis hedge, has also rallied. Spot gold rose about 18% to 20% this year, and JPMorgan forecasts demand from central banks and investors will push prices to $6,300 per ounce by the end of 2026. The metal touched $5,400 an ounce earlier this month as the conflict widened. The oil-gold tandem is doing what it always does in a supply-shock war: pricing both the inflation that comes with expensive energy and the insurance people want against a wider conflagration.
Here is the second-order point the market has not fully worked through: higher oil prices are a double-edged sword for Washington. They hurt Iran's customers and tighten the squeeze, but they also ease Iran's own fiscal pain by lifting the value of whatever crude it still sells, and they hand Gulf producers a windfall that reduces their incentive to pressure Tehran. A price shock meant to coerce one side ends up subsidizing several. That is why the coercive power of sanctions erodes precisely as the oil price rises — the mechanism that is supposed to break Iran's will also props up its budget.
There is a deeper asymmetry too. The U.S. is now the world's largest oil producer, so American consumers feel the pump price but the U.S. economy as a whole is less exposed to a supply cutoff than Europe or Asia. Refiners in India and China, which kept buying Iranian crude before the war, now face higher costs and higher insurance premiums for Gulf cargoes. The burden of the price shock lands hardest on the countries whose cooperation Washington needs most to isolate Iran.
The Wider Front: Settlements, Syria, and a Funeral in Gaza
Beyond the U.S.-Iran standoff, the regional picture kept deteriorating on multiple fronts. Israel's Ministry of Construction and Housing issued a tender for several compounds totaling more than 1,200 homes in an open tract of land east of Jerusalem — the latest step in a project under consideration for more than two decades that critics say would cut the occupied West Bank in two and prevent a contiguous Palestinian state.
British Foreign Secretary Ed Miliband called the tender's publication "an unacceptable and destructive act" and denounced "settler violence and terrorism," saying his government "demanded an immediate reversal" and had summoned the Israeli chargé d'affaires.
Egypt and Jordan also condemned the move, with Cairo saying it would isolate east Jerusalem from its Palestinian surroundings. Israeli Foreign Minister Gideon Saar responded by defending "the historic right of the Jewish people to reestablish their national home in the Land of Israel — including in the area in question," and criticized Britain for "blaming only Israel while ignoring Palestinian extremism." The exchange underscores how the war in the north has loosened the diplomatic constraints that once kept settlement expansion off the front burner.
In Gaza City, a mass funeral on Thursday remembered 50 Palestinians killed in Israeli strikes during the opening months of the war whose remains were only recently recovered from rubble. The bodies were from three families killed in airstrikes in November and December 2023. The nearly three-year war has killed more than 73,400 Palestinians, according to Gaza's Health Ministry, whose records are viewed as generally reliable by U.N. agencies; it does not distinguish between civilians and militants but says women and children make up around half of the toll.
On the northern front, Turkey denied that a Turkish military delegation had visited the Abu Duhur air base in northern Syria that was hit by Israeli airstrikes early Tuesday. The strikes caused damage but no casualties. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's office said Israel attacked because Syria was "on the verge of breaching" an agreed security status quo by allowing Turkish troops to deploy there. Syria's Foreign Minister Asaad Al-Shaibani, meanwhile, arrived in Islamabad on Wednesday — the first visit by a top Syrian diplomat to Pakistan in 19 years — for talks as Pakistan seeks to help defuse tensions between the United States and Iran.
That Syria's new foreign ministry is making shuttle diplomacy its first act abroad is a measure of how the regional order has been scrambled. Damascus, long a client of Tehran, is now being courted as a potential mediator between Tehran and Washington — a realignment that would have been unthinkable before the war reshuffled every alliance in the region.
The Counter-Thesis: Economic Pressure Still Has Room to Work
The strongest case against the view that coercion has failed is straightforward: Iran's economy is under more pressure than at any point since the war began, and the UAE embargo removes one of the last escape valves. The rial is at record lows, inflation is running near 70%, and the 60-day deadline has passed with no deal. If the Iranian leadership believes its survival is at stake, a breaking point may still be ahead — especially if U.S. secondary sanctions begin reaching Iranian oil buyers in Asia.
That argument is credible, and it is why Trump can say Iran is "negotiating on fumes." History offers some support: sanctions have bent Iranian behavior before, most notably in the run-up to the 2015 nuclear deal, when oil exports collapsed and the rial plunged. The difference now is the battlefield. In 2015, Tehran was trading concessions for sanctions relief while its regional position was intact. Today it is negotiating under bombardment, with its ports blockaded and its waterway closed — conditions under which any concession looks less like diplomacy and more like surrender.
But the counter-thesis confuses pain with leverage. Iran has absorbed nearly three years of war, a closed strait, and port blockades without conceding on what it treats as an existential issue: control of the waterway and the terms of any settlement. Economic pressure works when the target has a clear off-ramp it can accept. So far, Tehran sees none — and the more Washington tightens the noose without offering terms, the more hardliners in Tehran can argue that resistance, not compromise, is the only path that preserves the regime. Pain without an off-ramp hardens the very faction the pressure is meant to weaken.
The falsifying signal is specific: if Iran agrees to reopen the Strait of Hormuz to international shipping under a verified monitoring arrangement within the next 30 days, or if Iranian officials publicly accept U.S. terms on the waterway, the "coercion is failing" thesis is wrong. A secondary signal would be a sharp, sustained drop in Iranian crude shipments indicating the UAE-style embargo is spreading to other Gulf partners. Until one of those prints, the burden of proof sits with those betting on a deal.
What to Watch: Three Scenarios for the Next Month
Base case — prolonged impasse. The strait stays effectively closed, oil trades in the high $80s to mid-$90s, and sanctions tighten without a breakthrough. Beneficiaries include U.S. shale producers, Gulf exporters with spare capacity, and gold. Exposed: European and Asian refiners dependent on Middle East crude, shipping insurers, and consumers facing higher fuel costs. This is the scenario the market is pricing today, and it is the one that requires the fewest new assumptions.
Upside case — a framework deal. A monitored reopening of the waterway, phased sanctions relief, and a return of flows. Brent could fall back toward the EIA's $87 average forecast for 2026, and regional equities would rally. The trigger: a public U.S.-Iran announcement with inspection details, most likely through an Omani or Qatari mediator. The tell to watch for is not a statement but a ship: the first large crude tanker transiting Hormuz with its transponder on and a recognized insurer.
Downside case — escalation beyond the waterway. Direct strikes on Iranian energy infrastructure or a wider Gulf confrontation would send Brent well past $100 and push gold toward the $6,300 level JPMorgan forecasts. The trigger: a successful attack on a major Gulf energy facility or a casualty-producing strike on U.S. or allied forces that Washington attributes to Tehran. In that scenario, the question shifts from economics to whether the war stays contained to the Gulf.
Short term, sentiment and headlines will drive volatility — every missile claim, every diplomatic visit, every inventory print. The U.S. Energy Information Administration reported on Wednesday that U.S. distillate stockpiles, including diesel and heating oil, fell for a third week even as crude inventories unexpectedly rose by 4.4 million barrels — a split signal that refiners are drawing down finished products while crude stays stuck. Medium term, the fundamentals point to tight markets and elevated prices until the strait reopens. Long term, the structural question is whether the war has permanently altered shipping routes and insurance pricing for the Gulf, or whether trade returns to its pre-war pattern once a deal is signed.
This is the cyclical-versus-structural call at the heart of the trade. The cyclical leg is clear: once the waterway reopens, tankers will flow again and the war premium will drain out of crude over weeks. But the structural leg is darker. Every Gulf exporter now knows its oil can be held hostage by a regional adversary, and insurers will price that risk for years. Even in the upside case, the era of Hormuz as an unpriced chokepoint is over — and that floor under shipping costs is inflationary for the global economy long after the last missile is fired.
The takeaway: Trump's economic threats are real and they are biting, but pain without an off-ramp is pressure without leverage. The market has already priced that reality into oil near $95 — and until Tehran sees a deal it can survive, the impasse, not the breakthrough, is the trade.
Explore more exclusive insights at nextfin.ai.

